Thursday, August 13, 2009

From Merav

A few thoughts before the end of the trip...
A common phenomena of the Israeli youth is to travel the world after their military service. Many of them also visit India. I had one of these trips a few weeks back, this trip was very different although it began in a similar way...after a few flights, we found ourselves worried and overwhelmed in a Tibetan hostel somewhere in Delhi. That is when the trip reached its turning point - we met Tenzin. A strong Tibetan women who never ceases to amaze me. Tenzin is our local coordinator.
Then we traveled to Mcleod Ganj to our daily routine, I volunteered at "ROGPA" a day care, free of admission, for Tibetan kids aged 8 months to 3 years. Its purpose is to enable the parents to work more hours and to save money for school later on. Working with kids (42 of them) was fun, hugely fulfilling, challenging and sometimes very hard work. Communicating without speaking the language, playing, crying and smiling. In the afternoons I participated in conversational English lessons with Tibetan individuals, most of them who fled to India from Tibet. Some more recently then others. For me the interaction with Tibetan individuals - the teachers and parents at ROGPA. (and then meeting them on the street), hearing personal stories, experiences of pain and hope, made me listen, learn and understand the problems and the needs of the Tibetan community as refugees in India, and feel connected to their community and their cause at a personal level.
One can find similarities between the Tibetan story and our own Jewish story (being in exile, coping with oppressor)I found a connection in values and religion. The experience of being in the present and seeing the Dali Lama. Even though I'm agnostic, spending time with our Jewish group, at Kabalat Shabbat for example, made me feel more connected to my Jewish roots and the Jewish tradition. I can say this trip made me feel part of something bigger. Part of the Tibetan cause, and part of my own Jewish heritage.
-Merav Cohen

No comments:

Post a Comment